Wednesday, December 7, 2011

30 Day Blog Challange - Day 7

My favourite toys growing up other than Barbies were my Fisher Price record player and my hot pink cassette player/radio.

It fascinated me how music could come out of a tiny plastic disk on that old record player.  Now a days kids don't even know what a record player is unless they are into DJing.  A few weeks ago Chapters sent me an e-mail with gift ideas for kids.  I was gobsmacked to see that my record player was on their list and at $40.  Can you believe that they still make it?  I wanted to buy one but decided against it.  See it here.

My other favourite toy was my radio/cassette player.  I used to love to steal borrow my brothers music while he was out.  G N' R, AC/DC, Twisted Sister, Starship, just to name a few.  I remember when my parents were remodeling the kitchen I was sitting with my radio between the studs of the wall when my brother came home to catch me listing to Sara by Starship.  He yelled at me so loud that I could actually hear him over my headphones.

Come to think of it, they weren't really toys, were they?  I suppose it was a disadvantage I had because I had a brother who was seven years older than me.  All I wanted to do was spend time with him so I grew up too fast.

With how much music I used to listen to as a kid I am surprised I have no musical talent what-so-ever.  I can't even stand to hear myself sing in the shower.  I am tone deaf....damn.

Do you have any favourite childhood toys?

A moment that I felt very satisfied is up next tomorrow.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment